Sunday, November 18, 2018

Thanksgiving is Coming

and all through the house, not a shit was given, even from my spouse.
The time is near, and the feelings are clear
We've no time for drama, nor stupid fear.

Our families are dear to us, and we love them to bits,
But with all the pressure of the season upon us, we may have some fits.
I'll protect my own, with all the power I possess,
But I wonder sometimes, how to deal with the stress.

You're definitely worth it, Never doubt that.
But with all the worry, I keep getting fat.
It's good you'll be with me, I couldn't do it alone,
So let's work together, and get on the phone.

I'll cancel with my side, you cancel yours.
We'll have a feast here, and plenty of 'more!'s.
We can relax and be merry, and hear no more "But!"s,
We can roast some marshmallows, some corn, some nuts.

Eventually dear, they'll back off and see,
that family means you, me, and childling makes three.
We need no other, no opinions or 'advise'.
They can shove it back in the hole, where they spew their spites.

I know it won't happen, we're far too dutiful,
But oh, if only, their faces would be beautiful.
So bear with me dear, let's buckle our seats.
We're going in strong, we'll defeat them with feats.

~Just tinkering around while fantasizing about not having to go to Thanksgiving with our families and extended personages that will be stressful and annoying. Hope you enjoyed. If it's terrible, sorry. I just made it up. Love you!

4 comments:

college kid said...

I mean.....its totally legitimate to make a decision to not visit anyone for the holidays. But that has its own drawbacks too. I think if you worry about the stress, that can be more harmful than the actual stress itself. What might help is just making plans to limit the stress, perhaps by limiting interaction with someone you think will cause it or just being ready mentally to respond to what you think they might say or do. I handle stress by saying, is this really worth losing my mind over and not taking things too seriously. Because at the end of the day, you don't see these people that often and their opinions don't hold much power over your life in general. And if they attack Mitch, I won't have any qualms about calling them out for it. But at the same time, Mitch understands that not everyone is going to accept or be open to everything.

Runa said...

Yeah, but this kid will get butthurt over the most mild comments. Imagine someone setting out to hurt him. Not to mention the shitfest that was getting the psych meds right before thanksgiving. I’m not really too stressed anymore. I’ve run through all the expected comments, and good shut downs if someone is being mean. I’ve done what I can to prepare (except make cheesecake, I’m doomed).

college kid said...

Can you not make the cheesecake tomorrow night and let it fridge overnight? Plus we are already bringing a pumpkin pie anyway?

Runa said...

I promised to bring them both, and the cheesecake needed time to set. Also, if I messed up, I needed that buffer to make a last minute try.