Saturday, November 30, 2019

My “I’m fine!” Is losing power!!

So we went to Great Wolf Lodge for Thanksgiving. Took the three kids, met up with Best Friend C there, had a blast. Kids geared up when we arrived, super excited, went on all the rides, ate tons of food that’s terrible fo round, repeated. Good times were had.

....until Thursday morning when I twisted my knee out of joint getting out of a tube after a ride. Then it popped right back out twice more in the next hour. I took a break, chilled with Hubby and C. It popped out twice more between then and finishing lunch. And another three times before returning to the park. By that point I had figured out the movement that popped it out. Forward and to the right? Goodbye my balance, goodbye my leg, hello to oh the paaaiiiin. So I was able to keep it in place much better, despite hubby’s increasing worry. By the time we were going on rides after dinner, it only popped out two or three more times, but it was wearing me out quickly. But I was determined!

It wasn’t likely that we’d be returning here for years at the earliest. As my child says “It was really fun, but there’s only a few rides and you get tired of them eventually, so I don’t really wanna go back.” I didn’t have time to get tired of them. But I was tired of the stairs after the first flight that first day. So it amounts to the same thing.

I didn’t think I’d ever get the opportunity to go with these three again, so I pushed myself to the max, because I wanted to really treasure this vacation. The kids loved it, and so did I. I am fairly certain I tore my ligament with that first ride. My knee has occasionally popped out of joint over the years (usually with certain sitting styles that I know to be careful of), but it rarely pops out without an excessive turn. The second time it popped out was too.... easy. It felt incredibly fragile, and nothing restored it to feeling dependable until I picked up an ace bandage this afternoon. I dearly wish we’d jotted out for a brace yesterday. I would have been able to control it much better with one.

Anyway, that second time made it very clear that something was damaged in a major way. The popping out after that merely drove home the instability and pain, I don’t believe it made it notably worse (the the flashes of pain had me gasping at some points). Poor Hubby was incredibly worried and protective, and I’m concerned I made C worry as well. I hate making ppl worry.

So I went to urgent care when we got home, they set me up with a neat brace and a doctor appt on Monday. They’ll likely order an MRI, and we’ll know what needs to be done from there. They already X Rayed it and found no bones broken. I already knew that though, as broken bones feel significantly different from tissue pain. But hey, I certainly appreciate thorough checking, so I did it with a smile.

I just need to stop walking for the next two days and I’ll be set! I’m fine, see?

1 comment:

april said...

Glad to hear everyone loved it! Sorry about your knee. It's very relatable to get hurt and keep going.