Saturday, February 19, 2011

Can you spot all the mistakes?

Or alternatively titled: I'm tired, irritated, watching a really annoying drama with my host family grandma, and essentially wishing I was in bed right now.
Or, "I have NINE followers?!?!?!" (O_O) Why?! Well, I don't understand, but um, welcome to my mind?

Celsius is actually surprisingly difficult to spell. I was trying to figure out how warm the room actually is. Oops. Ikuchin is out of the bath. Be right back.

Why is it that out of every 5 commercials, there is at least 2 foreigners. And out of 5 commercials, the background music English 3/4 times? I don't understand, but oh well.

Uh....I'd really planned to write a lot more, but Desperate Housewives has utterly caught my attention. You wouldn't believe the idiocy of some of these scenarios. The actors and actresses are really good though. I rarely have any kind of "Wait....that wasn't believable acting at all..." reactions. In fact, their roles are very well done. The scenarios however, leave me gaping on occasion. There's even one character I just really don't like, and one character I love to watch mainly cause she's ridiculous. But despite this (out of character) praise for a drama, I still want to roll my eyes, bang my head, and break the DVDs when Ikuchin pulls them out. I feel like reading a synopsis of the whole thing just to avoid having to actually WATCH these idiocies happen.


I'm trying something new here: I had a question, so if you have an opinion on it/answer, please let me know. When a person calls you on bad behavior (on your part), or on a fault with yourself, what kind of attitude makes it easiest for you to accept the criticisms? That's a really convoluted question, so I'm sorry. I'll give you an example.

Example: There's a hair on your wrist. The person next to you that you know, but not very well, reaches over, gently takes your hand and pulls the hair off, before returning to their original position and acting as though nothing had happened at all. What kind of response would have been best to set you at ease, if acting as though nothing had happened wasn't the best?
Example 2: You just commented on how a teacher will do nothing but criticize you. A friend turns on you and points out that the only time you talk to that teacher is when they call on you and you cannot avoid answering. When they call on you, you are never paying attention, and do not even know the question, let alone the answer, so of course you wouldn't be praised. The friend then politely suggests volunteering to answer questions and attempting to pay attention during class. What kind of attitude should the friend use to get the best, most accepting response from you?

Epiphany: (This should be obvious, but) Popularity is not satisfying. Touching other people's lives and having something good to say about anyone is satisfying.

Pretty sure I've posted this one before, but oh well.

3 comments:

college kid said...

Yeah, I really don't get where you are going with your questions. Pretending like it didn't happen is what most people would do.

Your second example....I think you're thinking too hard about it. The person will either take your advice or not, you're not obligated to make them listen to it or to try to manipulate them into following it. Just let them do what they want after you have your say.

Caitlin said...

Example 1: I think the appropriate response is to feel awkward and maybe grunt out a thank you. That's a weird thing to do.

Example 2: I've heard that the best way to give advice or suggestions is to pretend they are about yourself even though they aren't. Like, if your roommate is a huge slob (like me), instead of saying "You're a pig, clean up your mess," you are supposed to say "I feel uncomfortable with the state of this room. Would it be possible for you to clean up for me?" Not sure how that translates to this specific situation though. Maybe say something like "I find that the teacher is less critical when I focus on the lecture and volunteer to answer questions."

Runa said...

Urgh...They were just examples to give you an idea of the type of situations. I didn't actually want answers to THOSE situations. *hangs head* Caitlin has good advice at least. But they could easily snap 'I'm not you' and that be the end of it. Thanks for answering though. V.V