Friday, January 10, 2014

Massage School, or 'How I caught the flu my first day home'

So, we took a whopping three days to get back to TX from NC last week, and we left three days earlier than we really had to for one very simple reason: I had class Thursday night. So we got back to town around 3 p.m. on Thursday, and we went out to eat before Hubby dropped me off at school, and I attended four hours of mind-numbing 'teaching'. Sitting next to me was a very contagious little girl who knew she was sick, thought it might be the flu, but didn't have the money to go to the doctor about it. So she sat next to me, coughed around me, talked to me, and essentially, was being friendly.
She got me sick. Friday, I didn't feel very well, my stomach was a little strange, but I was more or less okay. Saturday? I dropped. I slept til three or so, didn't particularly want to eat anything, coughed when I felt like coughing, and generally felt gross.
This feeling persisted until Monday, and though I could already feel it starting to lift slightly, I went to the doctor to see if what I had was contagious. (Remember, around Thanksgiving I caught something that wasn't contagious and took me down for three weeks? I didn't want it to be back) Turns out, it was the flu! Type A, whatever that is. AND? You're contagious until you get treatment. I'm rather doubtful that the little girl next to me ever got treatment. Likely she just healed up on her own and could still be contagious. And you know what? I can't blame her. Do you know how much the medicine freakin' cost??? $104!!! Not $10.40. ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR DOLLARS. For a FIVE DAY TREATMENT. Fuck my liiiiiiiife. I am suuuuuch an expensive wife and I never meant to be.
I was so shocked, but I didn't want to infect anyone else, so I took it, and I'm eatin' it even though it makes me nauseaus. I'm a good girl. I missed my exam in order to not make others sick. Seriously, the chick wiped out a fourth of our class. It's actually scary how quickly that flu went through us, and there's no guarantee it won't make a second or third round. So scary!
You know what's the topping on the cake though? ^.^ The flu fucked with my whooooole body's system to the point that I also got my period. For the second time. In as many weeks. When I haven't had one in moooonths. And the period makes my insides perpetually ache, my back constantly hurt, and my body slower to respond than I would like.

On a great note! I'm finally free from physical therapy. Admittedly, I really enjoyed it, but to know they think I'm healed enough to go out on my own makes me really happy. :3 Yay!

3 comments:

college kid said...

Yeah....someone's making big bucks off of Tamiflu. It's GSK, one of the companies I am applying to. But at least you are getting better, and you are done with PT!

april said...

I am so sorry to hear you got sick, but you also sound like such a trooper and thank you for not trying to be like Typhoid Mary. The flu has been bad to numerous people that I know :(.

Caitlin said...

As long as it works! I'm glad you got treatment.