Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hair Talk

Yes, it's about my hair. I see the eye rolls and sighs of resignation. Bear with it.

So I have an 'appointment' of sorts to get my hair cut tomorrow. It's tomorrow because the full moon is on Monday, and I'm still following the family tradition of cutting only on the three days of the full moon. (Yes, the day before and the day after count) So I keep thinking about what to do with it. At first, I decided on just a trim because I have all of these various reasons why I shouldn't just complete get it cut off. Then it occurred to me that I could just tell Dai-chan to do as he likes. Which means the decision will be completely out of my hands. But if it turns out bad, I have no one to blame but myself regardless, and then I still have to live with it.
Until now, I'd been thinking of my hair in terms of how others will like it or react to it. Right now, I'm trying to think about what just *I* want. And it's so hard! Because I'm naturally apathetic, I don't really care. It's interesting that it's so long it can be sat on, but it's not difficult to care for. I get a little giggly and happy about that kind of thing. But I'm also rather tired of dealing with all the tangles at the end of the day. And thinking of new hairstyles.
My hair is really important to me in a few ways, but it's also utterly useless in other ways. It's a symbol of my femininity, and it's such a pretty color. It's soft, and it feels silky, and it almost always smells good. I get compliments on it and it's often a conversation starter. Also, winter is just starting, and I've always kinda laughed at people that cut their hair right before winter since it provides warmth. Actually, oddly enough, that's the strongest reason yet for me to not cut my hair too much. And I hadn't thought of it before writing out this post.
In other ways, it keeps tangling and turning into a rats nest. It's hard to think of hairstyles, and I get headaches if I have it up for too long. It feels like I'm flaunting it when I take it down even if I don't have any intention of doing such a thing. I feel like too much of my pride and personality is wrapped around my hair, and that such vanity is unnecessary. It's always getting split ends, and there's various colors in it that make me feel awkward. Buying Conditioner is a pain, and I only use it on the ends of my hair.

Those are my arguments for and against it. So you see I'm fairly stuck. I'm not asking for opinions on it, though you're all more than welcome to tell me what you think. I'm trying to figure out what I think, and what I want. It's nearly impossible though. I'm just not used to caring about silly things like this. *sigh*

On a new note, I've been reading through my blog from a year ago to get a sense of the me from then versus the me from now. When I read my posts, I cringe at my grammar mistakes, but I'm impressed with how vividly the memories of the event come back to me. I even remember the dream I mentioned in passing on Christmas. It's so weird. But I'm rather glad that it's so. Damn....I really really wanna know what that quote I mentioned was from!!! Does anyone know?

"Could it be that I...I...I was wham-bam-thank-you-ma'amed?!"

Heehee....sorry, still giggling. I see why I posted it.

Have a good weekend everyone!

2 comments:

college kid said...

One word: Mohawk. 'Nuff said.

Other blog: Be careful, woman! Be rude if that's what it takes to get rid of the creeps. You're MINE!!!! Okay. That's enough possessiveness for one comment.

Caitlin said...

Reading old posts is fun. I think whatever you do with your hair will be great, 'cept maybe not a mohawk.