Saturday, May 4, 2013

Vets again.

To make this easier on me, I'm copying and pasting this from a convo I had with a friend.


i wanted them to do blood work and get a fecal sample to be sure nothing serious was wrong with my cat
i WARNED the vet that Maya was wild
but because she was fine with the initial examination, the vet thought i was exaggerating
.....
when the tech (she called herself the 'cat lady') came in, i warned her too
i said "She has claws, and she'll use them. She also will bite if you bother her. You have to be really careful!"
the vet told me i couldn't go back with her, that it wouldn't help, and i'd only be in the way
well, i'm waiting for them to bring maya back
and i hear "MRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWW!!!!"
and stuff falling
and "HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"
and various other disastrous sounds
i softly call out "I can HEAR that....."
and a few minutes later i hear the vet coming back
outside the door in a slightly panicked voice she said "No, no, keep her back there!"
then she came in, sat down, and said
"Wow, she really surprised me. We're gonna have to sedate her. There's no way we'll get the bloodwork and fecal exam if we don't."
I couldn't help it. I smirked a bit and said "I warned you she was wild."and the vet was like "Well normally with cats like that, I can't even do the normal examination. And I really don't think you being there would make it better. So sedation works like this.... blah blah. And it costs blah blah."
she told me to come back in an hour
that they would take care of her, i should go shopping or something
i said i would go pick up my husband and be back in twenty minutes
but i wasn't leaving until i saw maya first
lol
the vet looked nervous, and was like "I have to warn you, she's wrapped in a towel for everyone's protection, and it makes her feel safe"
lol
i just looked at her
because that was bullshit
and was like "I'm not leaving without seeing her first. I heard her earlier."
so i go to the back where the cat lady is holding her
the towel is only around her middle, all her claws are out, and she's looking panicked
i start talking to her, grab her paws and she retracts her claws. I take the claws out of the poor cat lady, and get Maya to calm down a bit, and then i leave.
when we come back, they're already through with her and she's been woken back up
she's literally crying, her pupils are huge, and her meow is like "Mew....." in such a tiny voice i'm shocked.
we immediately take her home, but she's unable to hold her bowels, and when i get her in the house, she's frothing so badly it covers her entire belly to her back legs.
she hasn't shit her cage since the first time i put her in it
i was so mad
i was inarticulate
we leave because i have an appointment elsewhere, and i have reb drive so i can call the vet
i get the front desk, and after i start my litany, they immediately offer to get the doctor. Of course i accept.
i'm put on hold for a few minutes.
a diferent person takes the phone, still a front desk person. I stumble over my words, but even i can hear the anger in my voice.
she also immediately offers to get the doctor
i'm on hold for a few more minutes
this actually cools my anger a bit.
the doctor gets on, my first question: What exactly are the side effects of this sedative you swore by?
because i had questioned her extensively about it before i consented, and she never mentioned either of these side effects
she said the combination of drugs and the car ride probably made her nauseous, and that the foam might be from the alcohol they left on her coat from when they took blood.
she apologized, told me it would seem like Maya was drunk for most of the day, but she'd be back to normal by evening, promised not to forget to mention possible side effects again, and i ended the call, but i still felt i had failed maya again. The vet said she would call the next day, and I was still angry with her then. I don't like that vet. I wanted the other one, the one we've been seeing. I didn't remember they have several of them at the hospital.

I could wish this wouldn't happen again, but you never know. I also picked up some new cat food at the vet's to try (25 dollars for four pounds!!! SO EXPENSIVE!!!).
Something tells me this kind of problem is going to be a normal occurrence if I'm not careful to get the vet that all of us like. 
Reb and I went to a Fiesta held by our housing office, where they were offering prizes. I refused to touch our tickets because I know my luck at these things is abysmal. It was the right decision! Reb won a popcorn bowl, three movie candies, and a 25 dollar gift card to fandango! :) Yay movies! I claimed the prize though.... lol. I thought he would walk behind me, but when I looked back he was still sitting down. I felt bad, cause I know it was his luck that let us win. We also took some cute pictures, and had dinner there, all for free. It really wasn't bad. I tried a Margarita, we danced, and we talked to a few people.
My job ended on Tuesday. Since then I have been to two doctors, gotten an MRI of my knee, and am scheduled for another doctor's appointment to discuss the findings and probable surgery for my ACL. On the plus side, I'll likely recover in about 12 weeks. Then I can be normal again! I can't wait to take up jogging again. I hope I can get that feeling back that I found when I did it in Japan. ^.^; And yes, 12 weeks is equal to three months. It just sounds shorter when you put it in weeks.... V.V I like that.  When I think of how long I could be out of commission.... well. I don't think about that! 
Since my job ended, both my client and my boss have reached out to me as friends. I really like that. I hope we can be great friends. I always felt awkward offering friendship when I was essentially a subordinate because I just felt like it would be offensive to other people, and even seen as brown-nosing. Now I can be friends with nothing holding me back! :D
Funny video:

1 comment:

college kid said...

Yay fixing your knee. Boo horrible veterinarians.