Sunday, October 4, 2009

Hmm....stray kitties....

Yes, I found some. Yes, I convinced (read: bribed/set a trap) them into my car. Yes, I drove with them running rampant in my car. Yes, I let them stay in the car all night because they were wild and none to happy with leaving the vehicle (oddly enough). Yes, one of them had the AUDACITY to PURRRR!!! *frown* Then, 'today' I took them to a shelter that DOES kill animals, because it was the only one open at 3 pm on a Saturday. One jumped out and ran into the forest. It also scratched a worker on its way, so....they're going to try to catch it, keep it for 10 days to check for rabies (BTW, it scratched me too), and then they will kill it. Yes, I took two adorable, wild, sweet, and independent kittens to a shelter, when they were small enough to be less than the length of my two hands, that will kill them. I'm pretty sure I'm a murderer. And there's nothing else I can do about it other than to vent here. It's illegal to let cats live in your car. (Yes, I asked) And it's against the rules to let them stay here. There's already a ton of feral cats here anyway. My mom refused to keep them, and after seeing Maya this weekend, I don't want anything bothering her. It was HORRIBLE! Maya got home Friday from the clinic, where she'd just been fixed, and she is skin and bones! They couldn't have fed her! She was meek, subdued, submissive (Hell, she let me put a FLEA COLLAR on her and didn't even twitch!) and dependent. She actually came and climbed into my lap, looking for loving! She NEVER climbs INTO your lap! Rubs your legs and arms, purrs at you, climbs on your chest, yeah, sure, but never STRAIGHT INTO A LAP!!! I wanted to cry when I saw the beautiful and feisty kitten I adored so absolutely....tired. I knew she was glad to see me, and she remembered me, because she trusted me to look all over her, and I put the collar on her, and then she climbed on the blanket I slept with and sniffed it while she settled on top of it to sleep. Just thinking about it brings me near tears. All of her kittens are gone, and she's so thin, you could break her. She doesn't meow, she just looks at you, and she doesn't beg or ask for food, she just waits to see if you'll give it to her. That's...really not my Maya.... I've always felt a camaraderie with her, so I have to wonder if I will be tamed and subdued like that one day. Though, to be honest, the thought just now occurred to me, and I hadn't considered that before. My beautiful Maya... I can't believe how absolutely subdued she is. I'm so horrified.
So, next subject, cause that one breaks my heart. It's things like that, that make me wish I wasn't a human that subjected other creatures to my whims 'for their own good'.
ANYWAYS!
Momma was weak, but she was so sweet, and happy to see me. I stopped by the Food Lion on my way in to get dinner, and I picked up a rotisserie chicken, southern potato salad, and coleslaw for us. (That, coincidentally, is when I found the kittens and spent an hour coercing them into my car, where one of them actually climbed on my foot while I was driving, but did not attack, bite, or hiss at me.) When I got there, I got her up, we ate together, I did a load of laundry, took a shower, we had cake that was chocolatey goodness, (she asked for it) and watched Coyote Ugly together. While we watched the movie, I rubbed her legs. It was actually a bit of a stress relief. We then watched random shows while I read books and got stuff together to come back 'today'. Then I fell asleep on the couch (cause I don't trust my bed, my cousin slept in my nephew's, my mom's was sweat-drenched, and that's all the beds we have) but it was no hardship, since the couch is brand new and SO SOFT!!!
I got up around 2, after my mom had woken me accidentally all throughout the morning, when she couldn't seem to wait for me to get up any longer. *cry cry cry* She could have gotten me up, since we were supposed to go out together, and she doesn't feel well in the afternoons!!! >.< I can't help that I'll sleep til dusk if you let me (which reminds me, bf, call me whenever you want me, otherwise I'll prolly sleep til tomorrow. We're supposed to see a movie together, right?) but I'm totally okay with waking up if there's a REASON for me to be up.
Mom ended up feel sick, so I called all sorts of shelters, but only found one open, and drove for thirty minutes to get there, with the cutest little calico all snuggled up against the back windshield, panting from heat, and me not giving it water. (I'm ashamed, but I didn't want them peeing in my car. They only appear to have pooped once) I'd never seen cats pant before. It was freaky. It eventually calmed down, cause it was thin enough for me to see the heartbeat through the fur. It took 45 minutes for them to get the cats out of my car, cause it was just NOT happening. We had almost decided to give it up and I was just gonna go home with the kitty in my car, but then we got a good shot at it, and we took it. You wouldn't beliee how much I actually regret finding a way to get the kitten out of the car. I mean, realistically, I realize that I couldn't have kept it, that I would have resented it peeing and pooing all over my car, that it would go crazy if I kept it in the car, regardless of whether I fed and watered it properly, but still, I think that might've been better than giving it to those women. It's going to DIE because I thought it shouldn't be out on the streets. My decision just cut its life off. I'm seriously considering calling the shelter and telling them I changed my mind, I'd be there to pick it up in a bit, and let it live here. It was just beginning to trust me. I actually managed to pet it a few times without meaning to. It's become natural for me to just pet something when I want to reassure it, and when I thought it was scared, I petted it and it didn't try to attack. It just startled away. AUGH!!!! ANYWAYS!!!!
I came back home after filling up on gas, and got mom up, and we went to the bookstore. She paid for 70 dollars worth of books for me. 0_0. I expected her to refuse, and then tell me how much she'd pay for, and I would pay the rest. But she just kinda paid for them all. I rushed through when I was picking my books cause mom said she was still feeling weak, so I actually ended up following her around the store, holding both of our books, and picking up anything she knocked over so she didn't have to bend down. *Shrug* It was the least I could do when she agreed to pay for my books like that. Then we went to Arby's where I realized once again that I only really like their fries and shakes. It's a sad thing, but true. Their meat is SWEET and I have bad experiences with sweet meet. *BLEH* So the expensive burger my mom bothered to buy me went to waste...and I couldn't even give it to Maya cause mom said then Maya would expect the same from the others.
After that, we ran to the store and picked up some food stuffs cause I wanted cranberry sauce, and she wanted chips and dip. She withdrew some money, and I figured it was for my sister's freind, who asked her for gas money for the week (she would pay her back on Friday), but she handed the entire amount over to me. I was like O_O? I HAVE money, I don't need this! And she wouldn't take it back, said I could think of it as payment for massaging her legs. I'd forgotten all about doing her legs. I didn't do that to get paid. The fact that it helped relax me too was enough of a payment for me. *Shrug* But, I accepted it. See, when she first handed it to me, I thought she wanted me to put it somewhere for her. She often does that when we're driving, she'll hand me money and say, "Purse" or "Change Box" or things like that, so I didn't think anything of it when I took the money from her hand. Damn habits and traps and things.....*mutter mutter mutter*

I'll finish this after I get back to my room. ^_^;;; Lotsa stuff happens on weekends.

4 comments:

college kid said...

I think you should be thankful that she gave you money. You can spend it on food and stuff you really need (since you already got your book fix from her). Its not like the money you currently have will last forever.

Runa said...

I AM thankful. I'm just curious, cause it's not like I'm money-grubbing or anything. I didn't come home for that.

Caitlin said...

Aw, poor little kittens. Don't feel bad though, there was really nothing else you could have done. Maybe someone will come and adopt them?

Runa said...

I doubt it....they're considered feral, and one of them 'attacked' so that one is definitely being put to sleep. Sorry for the really long post though. >.< I didn't realize it was so long.