Saturday, November 16, 2013

My battery isn't what it used to be

Right as I typed that, my computer died. I was waiting for the car to finish getting 'updated' at the repair shop. We needed to change the oil, rotate the tires, get state inspections done, and check the brakes. It took a full two hours, so I was rushing around yesterday.

Today was pretty good. I was running on a high of being able to see a movie that I've really liked since I first saw the advertisements in Japan. That's right, Hankyu Densha! I've made hubby watch it, and he really seemed to enjoy it. It's available online with english subtitles, so if you have the time, I really recommend you watch it. It's a feel-good film. Hmmm.... Here's a trailer:

http://www.filmsmasharchives.com/musicvideo.php?vid=547e8829a

As to what college kid said about telling his parents of our plans. I can't help agreeing. We discussed how it feels to talk to our moms and it was basically something like this: My mom is willing to listen to me when I have a problem, and help me work things out, but she's also kinda distant.... =.=;; Like, I'd better be dying if I call her at 2 a.m. and sometimes she won't give me advice because she doesn't want to make up my mind for me. On the other hand, if I've made a decision and it's clear that I'm not wavering, she falls behind me rather quickly and helps with advice and warnings that really do tend to be useful. My Step-dad is a little more strict with his views, but he also believes me to be level-headed, or else just really lucky.... I'm not sure what he thinks of me, to be honest. I do think he spoils me though. Like, just generally supports and indulges my attitudes because he thinks it's cute. .....Dunno. He's just generally lenient with me. I would like to lay the thanks for that at my own feet. I'm 23, married, and have no children. I've beat the hell out of my sister's examples, don't you think?

Collegekid's mom is easy to talk to, but I kind of feel like I have to treat her with kid gloves. I could never imagine talking to her about sex, for example, but I've always been comfortable talking to my mom about it. She's sweet and supportive, but naive and has warped views on things sometimes. At least she's willing to try to understand our sides of things. My father-in-law is very set in his ideas, and pushes his opinions because he believes they are right, and we are wrong, and we should always listen to him. Life doesn't work that way. I think Collegekid spoiled his parents too much growing up by not actively debating beliefs and opinions often enough. His dad isn't used to being opposed, and I'm worried he will quite readily blame me for his son's 'unusual rebelliousness'.... Admittedly, Collegekid would likely never have opposed his family in such dramatic ways if he hadn't dated and married me, but I like to think our relationship is worth at least that much. But because he isn't lenient and doesn't like to consider things from our side and beliefs, it makes talking about big decisions in our lives rather difficult to do with him.

I at least don't want to talk to him more than I have to. I like him, to be honest. But it's difficult to continue liking someone that seems to vaguely dislike me. :/ Also, its hard to talk to him because he's hard of hearing, and I'm naturally soft-spoken. I'm also not very willing to repeat myself more than twice, because my sisters had the habit of saying 'Huh?' to buy time when you talked to them. =.=;;

On a new note, I'm back to wondering if I'm scary and intimidating to people that don't know me very well. I seem to go through cycles of this. I know I can be charming and sweet, but since that isn't all I am, I find myself awkwardly trying to deal with new people in an honest manner. I'm beginning to think honesty is overrated. ;__; It is soooo troublesome. Have you noticed most of my issues stem from my dedication to being as honest as I can? I don't want to compromise my values but I also don't want to make people feel awkward and suspicious of me for the rest of my life.

I wonder if I'm turning into the female version of a creepy otaku. I feel like it. I should start working out. It's been nice and cool, and yet I can't seem to motivate myself to go out running. I'd like to start doing yoga again, but it's a little expensive, and the place I like is rather far away from where I live. Maybe I should look for closer places or ask my classmates if they have any recommendations. I already impressed them with my high karate kick. The teacher made me do it an extra time so everyone could admire how high it goes (to my opponent's head). Maybe I can impress them with my yoga awesomeness?

I like this song. It's vivid and interesting and the beat is very fun.

2 comments:

april said...

There are certain things that I feel more comfortable talking about with Alex's parents than mine and vice versa. That being said, I can't imagine talking to either about sex.

Runa said...

I feel it's a parent's duty to be accessible for any information their child might require, and sex is definitely required. Without you, you don't learn what's okay, what's normal for your family (maybe a curve in the equipment, or needs more stimulation, etc.) and it's a huge chunk of humanity! Without sex, we cease to exist if you think about it. Yeah, it's an optional activity, but I enjoy getting Mom's perspective. She was actually the one to tell me 'Try before you buy' in regards to sex before marriage. That if you don't, you may be stuck with someone you really find yourself incompatible with later in life. Plus she has so many stories and such good advice because she's lived so much longer.
What do you do if you get something strange down there that you can't see? I used to ask my mom to look at it and tell me what it is, what I should do, etc. Now I ask hubby, but I would still prefer to ask her if she weren't so far away.