Wednesday, November 27, 2013

We bought Chestnuts!

They were so much cheaper at Sprouts than at Walmart! It was $3 something a pound, instead of $5 a pound. So I got 6 dollars worth of chestnuts (they're huge, succulent, and bound to be good) and looked up how to roast them. Apparently you have to cut Xs in them to keep them from exploding. It may be mean, but I kinda wanna make them explode and play a practical joke on someone. It's possibly dangerous though, so I'm going to refrain. Instead, a Turkish neighbor was roasting eggplants when I was swimming (in the hot tub. Cold weather + hot tub outside? AWESOME!!) so when I got out, I cut some chestnuts and sent Hubby out with them to him (since I'm wet and my feetsies would get cold).

I read this article last night (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/11/22/why-women-still-need-husbands/) and thought it was interesting. Hubby and I are planning essentially for the exact situation they're suggesting people head for. I do agree that for me, it's a preferred way of life. I talked with Hubby about it, but it was mostly me talking and so it's not a very interesting convo to repeat. Essentially, if I work 25 hours a week, and charge 80 or so dollars a session (make that much), I would be in the $100,000 annual salary range. However, my goal in being a therapist is making enough to support us, but also make it affordable enough that anyone can get one (I also eventually want to expand into animals, children, and the ill but that's years down the road) while also working a schedule that won't really wear me out or keep me from my family. So my goal range is actually about 20 hours a week at $40 a session. That puts me around the $40,000 income range, which is a little more than I feel I need to bring in. Hubby expects  to make around $70,000 annually, so that puts us in the $110,000 range and I feel that's a little too much money for us to make and raise children with.

Let me explain that a little further (since Hubby's response was 'Money money money!'). There's a point where you make too much money to fully commit to raising your child in a healthy, happy environment without spoiling them. I truly believe that. It's one thing to make that much money and only spend a bit of it, but hoarding money is also not good for the economy, and you should also teach your child about giving back to those around you (this is different from charity). It's another thing if you're raising 3-7 kids on that much money. Because the more bodies you have, the more expenses. But since we're only planning to two children (three when you include Mimi, and I agree that maybe making that much will help us pay for her college later, but I want her to put in the extra effort and work while in college so she doesn't lose sight of her abilities, her ability to depend on herself, and her independence), that's a higher income than we really need, so it makes me uncomfortable. Admittedly, I'm not going to turn it down.... Do you know how many books that means I can buy????

Another good thing about my income is that it will be so versatile. If something happens and Hubby ends up out of work, I can step up my hours (as little as 5 hours a week), add a few extra clients, increase my session price a little bit (as little as $5) and jump up to $30,000 extra a year. I don't want to do that because it could endanger my body, and I could find myself approaching burnout, but I could do it. And to me, that's what counts.

It's also a little worrisome that if my family knows I'm doing well, I might end up with them constantly asking me for money. I may just say that since Hubby makes more than I do, they have to ask him for money. I'm too quick to hand it over, but I also don't want to push them on him if he doesn't want that burden. Hm. Something to talk about.

I think that's about it for tonight. I'm posting regularly, but I'm not getting much blog love.... *pout* I wish I could comment on peep's blogs but my account doesn't allow it for some reason. :/

I'll posted this before, but I really do like Maksim Mrvica. I might even buy some of his CDs to play for my massage clients. The only problem is that I've become able to hear when he makes mistakes (as all people do) and am worried that it'll be distracting to me or my clients.

2 comments:

college kid said...

I think we should make as much money as possible while we are young. There are so many things to save up for, and I think you are underestimating how much certain things cost (like raising a kid, buying a house, healthcare, sending kids to college, etc). It is always better to have too much money than too little. There are too many uncertainties in life. If for some reason I or you are unable to work, it is nice to have extra money to use while one of us tries to find a stable job again. It's nice that you can increase your hours and such to support us if you have to, but isn't it better just to have the extra money saved up so that you don't have to do that? I don't think you should worry about how much we are making together, just work as much as you want to without overexerting yourself, and we can talk about how to save/invest the extra money we make.

If you are worried about overspending and whatnot, I will handle the money. There is no reason your family needs to know how much we are making, and feel free to say that they need to ask me first to lend money.

Caitlin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.