Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Music Video Discussion: La La La

I figured I could set a good example for Hubby and post a video along with my thoughts, like we're imploring him to do.

The video in question:


I really, really like this song lately. I looked up the meanings and ideas behind the song, but the artists have left it up to viewer interpretation. So I'm gonna interpret!

First, the lyrics:
Some people have written this song is about jealousy. That doesn't make sense to me, both because of the words themselves, and way in which they're conveyed. Others have written it's a religious diatribe but while that actually makes plenty of sense based on both lyrics and song tone, I don't think it's right either.
My interpretation is that this person has someone they love (probably not romantically) who is once again making a huge mistake. The singer knows the love won't listen to them, and that the love with only attack the singer for talking about it, so the singer has given up on trying to talk with the love. The singer doesn't want to invest any more time/arguments on a topic they will only be hurt listening to, so they close their ears to the love's words.
The religious part generally comes from the line about 'about your new messiah' but really, that line sounds to me like a scam artist's victim. For example: new messiah could be referring to someone the love expects to rescue them from their horrible life. Sure, that could be religious, but I think it's more basic than religion. When someone is unhappy (and generally uneducated) they look for someone else to fix their life. It's not a good answer by any means, but it's a common situation, and one you often see gentlemen fall into. The next line: 'cause your theories catch fire' is confusing. 'Catching fire' could mean that it becomes very popular, and  I've read others interpreting it that way already. But it could also mean that the theory will go down in flames because it's so horrible and unmanageable.
I'm skipping a few lines because they're pretty basic and going for the next possibly confusing bit: 'When you read your speech it's tiring'. I think it's just as it says. Speech refers to someone presenting ideas without the listeners' input. Indeed, having been on the receiving end of several, I can agree it's very tiring. It's even more tiresome because the speech giver won't listen to anything you say. So why not block your ears and stop trying to convince the speech giver/love?
Another line that works in my theory is: 'Cause if my heart can't stop it, I'll find a way to block it'. Others have said this is the prime reason this song is talking about jealousy. I don't agree. This line is about pain. No one wants to be hurt, and the easiest way to get hurt (I've found) is to invest love and care into someone that won't listen to your advice. Then they get hurt very badly by their decision, and it hurts you as well because you care for them. Sometimes it hurts worse because you tried to stop them and they didn't listen. You start to think 'If only they had listened' and it becomes a spiral.
A line that seems out of place with my theory is 'If our love is running out of time' but I think it's silly to always assume 'our love' is meant romantically. Admittedly, colloquial use dictates a romantic interest, but just as you love your siblings and your parents, you can run out of time with them. They could die, or they could come to hate you, or even in some cases, having a sexual interest in the same sex could destroy your familial bonds, whether it's you that's homosexual or the other person. So I don't think this line particularly hurts my theory. With the next few lines, in fact, my theory makes even more sense: 'If our love is running out of time, I won't count the hours, rather be a coward; When our worlds collide, gonna drown you out before I lose my mind'. So this verse sounds a lot like someone that knows a controversial decision is going to break up a relationship they treasured. It's not clear who's decision is the cause of the break, but it could arguably be either.

Phew. Sorry, I've had that on my mind all day, and really wanted to get it out. Please, if you want to argue with me, do so!! I love hearing other people's theories. :)

This is just a rather funny mashup that I hope you all enjoy:

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

I've been listening to this song a ton since you posted it. Thanks for sharing!

Also, your analysis was interesting. :) I haven't thought too much about it myself yet.