Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I feel like I just blogged

but apparently that was over a week ago. Time certainly flies. So for your intellectual growth, here's a video:

http://www.upworthy.com/a-ted-talk-that-might-turn-every-man-who-watches-it-into-a-feminist-its-pretty-fantastic-7?c=reccon1

I think the talk is very interesting, but I also feel that it's a little too centered on males harming females. Females harm males and control them, and yes, even rape them. I have control issues, and I feel badly about it. I do my best to control myself and keep from trying to control Hubby. After the 13 and a half mark, his ideas get very, very interesting. I really think Caitlec will find it worth watching, even if Hubby wasn't interested. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

Its certainly true that it takes a lot of courage and strength to stand up and say 'That's not cool.' If you're a leader, it's so much easier, because you already have power and can use that previous respect to enforce your protest, whereas the common Joe can be challenged, broken down, and if it comes to a fight: If he loses, it's automatically accepted that his protest was wrong. The winner writes history, right? Well, if all the ones protesting lose their battles, it becomes seen as 'the losers barking'.

There IS value in that though. Even if it only leaves a question simmering in the bystanders' minds later, it's done some good. It may do nothing more than give others a vague feeling of unease later when someone makes a similar derogatory comment, but that's progress. What leaves someone uneasy often doesn't continue to be popular with that person. So it's a much slower movement than say, the leaders beating it into their followers heads that ______ isn't cool. But still, it's progress.

I do wonder though, if people realize that equality is impossible. There's constant nuances to every person and every situation that leaves one person with an advantage over the other. Sure, right now ppl are focusing on race and gender. It used to be social class. Before that, it was ancestry. And before even that, prowess with a weapon. So the equality that people keep yelling for is a double-edged blade and a pipe dream. I'm a woman and yeah, I'm likely to get slammed for this but: I don't want to be treated simply equally. I have different inner workings. I go through issues no male can truly understand without a sex change and LOTS of hormonal therapy. Likewise, males have mysteries I will never understand. I'm not sure I really want to. So my personal pipe dream is this: Give respectful consideration to each person and their personal dreams/issues/problems/responsibilities. Your PMS is probably not exactly like mine. Your GBE is also not exactly like mine. So we should observe each other and give due consideration and help that is needed/appreciated. It's like, I LOVE that Hubby realized I drink extreme amounts of water right before I start my period. Even *I* didn't know that about myself. Therefor, when I start drinking a lot, he's the first to notice, refill my glass, offer me his own, and sometimes just mentioning it to me helps me to realize, oh he's right, I'm constantly thirsty. I'll grab some extra water bottles. That's helpful, observant, and something we both only do/notice BECAUSE I'm a woman. On the opposite end, I notice when Hubby is stressed and wants a cuddle, usually even before HE realizes it (This doesn't mean I always oblige, just that I usually already know before he asks). I make him delicious food, I hug him, and I play with his hair and insist he take breaks with me, BECAUSE he's mine, and it's a mystery of him that he doesn't realize how much he needs those breaks until he's taken one.

Hm. I want sushi.

This video is seriously fun. I didn't think so at first. At first, it just seemed strange. But then I watched it a few times and began to notice the expressions, the body language, and just in general, the attitude of the 'dancers'. There's also quite a lot of attractive eye candy, which doesn't hurt.

1 comment:

college kid said...

I'm not interested in the video because I am wary of people who call themselves feminists. I think ppl should be treated equally to the best possible extent. But to focus only on one group or one aspect is wrong, I think. It sends the message that only one group's rights need to be addressed. And it seems like the only way of doing that is by taking away someone else's rights. I like the idea of humanists, the idea that everyone should be treated equally. Enough with the propaganda, just treat everyone equally. Don't say it's a gay marriage issue, say its a marriage and human sexuality issue. Don't make it a black or hispanic issue, make it a race issue. This may just be semantics, but I think it's important to keep a level-headed and balanced view.