Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Interracial Dating....

huh. I have a few friends on facebook that post about how they're in a relationship with someone that's a different race, and I just don't really get it. I mean, I marvel at the different skin tones between Hubby and my hands, but I don't think 'oh, we're different races. Celebrate!' or anything like that. Maybe I should, but really, our race doesn't seem to be important to our relationship. Hell, as long as he was still him, I'd love Hubby if he were blue.
So to me, all those posts screaming 'Lookit us, we're different but we love each other so much! Yeah!' sound insincere. Maybe I'm wrong, and if I am, I don't mind apologizing, but it sounds like there's a lot of 'Why can't you understand me? It must be because you're not the same race as me' in that person's relationship. Or maybe they're not whole-heartedly approved of by their families or something. But really, it just sounds like they're out to prove something.
Most of the time I don't even think about race anymore. Especially not in consideration to my marriage. It just kinda seems like judging a cat by their fur. Yeah, her fur is black, but it doesn't change the fact that she's a cat. Yet some people think she's unlucky, or cursed, or blah blah blah. She's a cat. That's all. That relationship? You're just a man and a woman. Or a man and a man. Or a woman and a woman. If you're gonna comment on skin color, be a little more creative please. Like, Hubby's got caramel skin that makes me wanna eat him up! And I have milky skin that is all creamy and soft, until I get sun-burnt. Not, oh, he's a HIS-panic, and she's a whitey. *rolls eyes* Make it delicious, damn it.

By the way, I'm really enjoying Fall out Boys' videos all over again. Example:


I have another interview on Thursday, a few hours before my Licensing Exam. I think I'll definitely pass my exam. But I don't wanna just pass it. I wanna ACE that sucker so bad they send a frickin' signal up that I might have cheated to get such an awesome score. That's my goal.

This song's video is pretty funny in a terrible way....


I know I've shared those songs before, but it was years ago. Its funny how you can go back to old music and still enjoy it. Ah, right the interview. I'm not sure if I'll get this one. They offer specialties I haven't been trained in, so I'm not sure if they'll want me. I certainly don't mind learning them, and they seem to be 'pampering' without much elbow grease necessary for the massages, but still decently high costs. I'm glad I have an extra day to look over what they offer. Thai massage seems interesting and similar to Shiatsu, so it would be fun to learn.

Did I already share this song? It's surprisingly catchy and moving. And I think it's a sibling-song, so it would be difficult for only children to be moved by it, but that could just be my own bias. If it is, say so!


Tonight I made sauteed zucchini and eggplant with the bacon grease from yesterday's bacon-pizza, boiled broccolette, and buttery garlic bread. The bread took longer to cook, so at first all we had were the vegetables. Hubby was like "Siiiiigh. I feel like a vegetarian." and I sat there thinking, 'Well, the bread isn't meat either... at least it's a yummy meal?' I'm trying to get us out of the 'meat meat meat = meals' mindset, and I'm also trying to figure out what to do about a child that's allergic to eggs. I mean.... there's eggs in bread, in dough, in cakes, in most breakfast meals, and I'm sure it's in a ton of stuff we eat that we don't even know!! I'll have to be careful once she comes, and so I'm starting to notice the stuff we should ease ourselves off of, like bread, some pastas, quiches (though I just got started with liking those....), cookies and CAAAAAKE.
The hardest thing about it though, is that I was trying to ease off of gluten already. Easing off of both will be a very interesting experience. I think we're gonna be eating a lot more veggies and possibly meats in exchange. ....I wonder if all of us just going Paleo wouldn't solve the problem. It's healthy, even for children, but the school may have their own ideas of what the child should be eating, and that might include bread. I'm not sure. It's something worth looking into, at least.
I didn't want to go Paleo, because it requires meat the size of your hand at every meal, fruits, and veggies, and nothing processed or things like bread. My issue was the bread and the meat, but it would make Hubby happy to have that much meat, and we may not be able to have bread anyway, so..... It's becoming a more reasonable option.

This video is all kinds of funny, and I'm sorry if I already posted it. I feel like I must have, but I might not have, and that would be criminal. The song is awesome, first of all. The video is hilarious (though a little vulgar, so dont watch it at work) and ironic, which is something I always enjoy (and end up subjected to).


I think I'm done for the night. I can't really think of anything to add, and I know I already wrote a lot (sorry). Love you, g'night!

3 comments:

college kid said...

Yeah, I don't really think alot about the interracial thing either. Seems like if that is the focus of your relationship, it is kind of shallow.

Caitlin said...

I think for some people it's a bigger deal than for others. Families being angry might be fine for some if, for example, they didn't have a close relationship before/don't tend to deal with each other very often. But for others, the stress surrounding it can get pretty unbearable.

I had a Korean friend in college who was dating a Vietnamese guy and it was terrible. The race issue did become a focus of their relationship because of how her parents reacted. They cut her off financially, which was a big deal because she couldn't afford the very expensive tuition or housing on her own at all. They ended up moving in together to the cheapest place they could find and he paid for her school as best he could (he was two years older and recently got a job). But it meant they didn't have a lot leftover for food and lived off of ramen. That was bad but the worst was that the mother started saying she was having health issues and was going to die and that it was all the daughter's fault for being so horrible. What she ended up doing was telling her parents they broke up, and now they ask her to take pictures of all her meals and send them to them so that they can keep tabs on her to make sure they aren't doing stuff together. Her plan is to get married to him this year.

I know other people who have kept their 3+ year long, serious, heading-towards-marriage relationships a complete secret from their families because they know the reaction will be terrible.

Caitlin said...

I'll also say that one of these people who is keeping the secret, they are mostly the same race (but he is half-white). But because he is a little white (doesn't look it) and didn't go to an Ivy League school (if he was their race it would be fine whatever school he went to), she is waiting to tell her parents when she gets to the age that they will start telling her she is too old and needs to find a man quick. Then she can say, yeah he's half white but better that then nothing! They've lived together for 2 years at this point...