Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Celebrate the small things.

I'm learning to. A few days ago I posted on facebook "I CAN WALK!! About five steps." Only my host mother from Japan commented on it, and her response was: Little by little, do your best! (少しずつ頑張れ~!) That was encouraging, but it would have been more encouraging to have a few more people contact me, egg me on, and just show concern for me.

It makes me realize just how easy it is to become a hermit here. I don't know that many people, all my good friends tend to live very far away, and it's too hot for me to try venturing out (not to mention every time I venture out, I overdo it, end up hurt, and have to have recovery time). I really try to be careful and not go too far, but it's sad how little I can do, and the small amount of time I can do it before I end up overtired.

Its also a little depressing how much I'm depending on hubbikins. So I'm celebrating every time I can do a little more for myself. For example:

I put the dishes up myself for the first time since surgery!
I washed some dishes!
I made a pasta salad!!
I made my own food!
I got into the shower without help!
I got out of the shower without having to hold onto anything!
I managed to shave my body! (Took two days and two showers, but I did it)
I can sleep on my side now!
I can lay on my stomach!
I can bend my knee more than 90 degrees!
I can walk without the brace or walker!
I managed to do a little cleaning. :)
I can sit down and not have my leg raised up, or completely straight. (As in, I can sit normally for short periods)
I can have sex again! We're officially up to three positions that aren't too painful! :D

Those are the major triumphs for me so far. Not very major, are they? I know, and you know, that you do all of these things in a day and never think about it because it takes so little effort for you. You can't help it. You're used to it. But I have to learn to reuse my leg. I'm relearning how to walk, and building up my thigh muscles. I'm desperately trying not to fall, because that could undo everything I'm working for.

We watched the Silver Linings Playbook today. The start is mediocre, but it starts to get really good when Jennifer Lawrence and the main male start to interact. They get a chemistry going that really starts to interest you until even though you really wanna go do something better with your time you have to see what happens. Or at least that's my assessment. The end was very good. Could be called cliche, but still very good. And hubbikins and I both agree that the movie is more realistic than most movies get.

Now we're going grocery shopping (first time in over two weeks) and I know it's gonna wear me out. Wish us luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiOg5nHNmFY&feature=share&list=RD02XG1WfYpTx0w

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Congratulations and good luck!!

How'd it go??

april said...

Wow, great on your accomplishments and great on having such a positive outlook about it all! I am beaming with happiness about all that you're working up to do and also so happy that you focus on what you can do, not what you can't do!