Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Interview today didn't go so well.

So I'm not really able to go to sleep. Instead, I'm venting to a friend. Here's the convo:

Me: So, I went in for an interview with this Security place in May
but they wanted me to be on my feet 40 hours a week, and my knee had been giving out more than ever


Friend: :< oof

so when they called me back to say the paperwork went through and schedule me for training, I lied
I normally don't lie, but it kinda just rolled out without my mentally giving it the okay.
I felt guilty, but figured it didn't really matter, since I had declined and wouldn't meet them again
I told them that I had gotten a better offer
....to be fair, I don't think I specified a job offer. Technically I was taking my husband up on his offer to have surgery done
since we had the money and I had the time
with me so far?
You lied about your knee being fine?

no, i lied about getting a better offer when i refused the job

Oh. OK, so I'm with you so far.


Well, ironically they were advertising for a security secretary (which is really what I'm hoping for right now), and I figured I could submit my resume anyway.
If they didn't want me, they would just not reply, right?
(This is my thoughts now: The person setting up interviews and such probably is not someone in that office)
Yesterday, I got a call asking if I was available for an interview, so I agreed to one today since I'd be in the area for physical therapy anyway.
with me?

So far so good

So I went in, and as I was signing in, the woman said I looked familiar. I said I had been there last month for a different job interview. So she looked up my application (saved time at least. Didn't have to fill out a different one), and then we waited for a guy to interview me.
First Curveball: Last time the woman interviewed me, so I wasn't expecting someone else.


Mmk

Well, I waited for a while, and he came out, eventually he saw the papers, then beckoned me back into his office
Second Curve ball: He immediately started in with "Why should we hire you again when you went with someone else last time?" Not even a 'nice to meet you, i'm _____'


Ouch

I was startled, but thought I came up with a pretty good answer. "I declined last time in order to improve my physical abilities so I could do a better job."

Alright. I'm afraid of his next response x_x

He said "It says here you went with a better offer. That tells me that you chose a different company. Convince me why you're not going to do the same thing again this time."
I said 'Last time, I actually chose to get surgery rather than getting another job.' but he stuck with the lie I'd told him.
I'm sure I could have told a long and persuasive story about what really happened, but I really just didn't want to. I stayed standing until he beckoned me to a seat (cause momma raised me right), and he told me to convince him why he should give me a second chance.


:x

I guess that was my third curve ball.
I said "I'm a very good security guard"
and he said "That means nothing."
I tilted my head and tried to think of what would convince him. I thought of all the reference letters I have stating what a good character I have, I thought of actually pleading with him because I don't like hurting people and he gave the impression that my rejection was a personal offense(my pride squashed that pretty quick), and I thought of my personal quirks that would define me.
Finally, all I really came out with, was that I'm an honest person, and if I say I'll do a job, 
I will.
He replied "You changed your mind last time." and I immediately responded "I never accepted last time."
We were both silent for a minute, and he said "Well, I don't know. Let me think on it overnight. You can go." I shook his hand, though he didn't really look like he wanted to (thought it would be rude not to) and left. Somewhere in the conversation I mentioned that my understanding was that the other side was a construction site and I would on my feet for a long time. He said that all the jobs typically require eight hours of standing, and he also scoffed, and said they don't discuss job particulars with applicants. I blinked and said 'Even this secretary job?' and he replied 'Yes.' So I honestly don't even think I can physically do this job if that's what's required.


he sounds like a stick in the mud

Yup.
I mean, he's well within his rights to feel slighted that I refused last time, but it felt like he was only really calling me in to confront me about that, not consider me for this job.
perhaps.

What bothers me, is even if he DOES decide to give me this job, I'm not able to work the pace he mentioned, and I'm gonna have to decline again.

Well he knows of your condition right?

No, because he had an air of 'I don't want to hear about your excuses.' I think I told him I got surgery, but not what kind or where.
Well, he should find out and if he doesn't it's his fault-
What's eating you up hun?

TT^TT I've never burned a bridge before.......
and if I didn't burn it today, when I refuse tomorrow, I definitely will......


Accept,inquire about the job, let them know about the surgery. Don't burn the bridge, he might but you wont

but if i accept, that implies i will do it regardless. I don't think i can. In fact, I'm pretty certain that not only can I not, I don't even want to. I don't like that man, and Hubby doesn't want me to do it either.
I don't feel right accepting when I get the feeling I can't honestly go through with it.
Hubby says I should call him before he calls me, and withdraw my application. Honestly, I think he's right.
I just get the feeling I'll be too late.
:X I know my worries seem less than concrete and insubstantial, but they still bother me, and I can't seem to soothe myself. Even hubby couldn't soothe me, though he really tried.


Sorry for all the messed up types and spacings. Copying and pasting isn't the easiest thing to do. I'm also worried about Pineapple's doctor results. Was it the PCL or the ACL? Does it need surgery? Is there anything we can do to help? I have two braces that work really well and I don't need them anymore! Just let us know!!

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

That guy sounds a bit off his rocker. Wow.

Runa said...

I called and withdrew my application early the next morning. I don't want to deal with a company that has him. I'm thinking it's really good that never signed on with this company. Now I'm strictly looking for part-time work.

Caitlin said...

Sounds like a really good decision!

april said...

wow, that's a really uncomfortable and unique situation, and you for sure made the right decision by making sure you don't have to be around him any more