Friday, January 30, 2009

All the Same

How does one deal with the envy or disdain of others? I hate it, and I always think, "If only they were as smart," or "If only they were as outspoken," or even "If only they didn't care, like me." But then I think of that episode of The Fairly Oddparents, when Timmy wished that everyone was the same. And how boring, and how others always found a way to hate on the others. And I realize it's going to happen to someone, and I may as well be their target. But I can't really help the frustration and self-pity.
I might be a little too vague with this. Basically, When I have talked, or asked questions, I occasionally get rude snickers or dissenting people making quiet comments. I don't like that. Most of the time, I don't ask a question for my own benefit, but because the others don't understand and I think that if he explains 'this' then they'll finally understand 'that'. But I really don't like standing out that much. I mean, I like having friends, and being able to talk when and how I want to, but I don't want people envying or hating me. How do you guys deal with it? It makes me want to stop trying to learn. (Don't scold me, you'll just make me angry. I don't want to stop trying either)

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

I love love love The Fairly OddParents, and I love that episode too! As for the answers to your questions, I dunno.

college kid said...

I think you'd have an easier time if you did not do things for other people's benefit all the time. Yes, it is nice. But really, you should only ask questions when you don't understand something. Like, its a possibility that they DO understand, and they might feel belittled if you ask questions because you are assuming they are ignorant or whatever. If they really do have gaps in knowledge, it is their own responsibility to ask questions. If they really do have questions, how are they going to learn to ask them if someone else always does? In short, it is better to let your classmates ask their own questions.